Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Book #29 #30 #31 #32

Since I last posted about my reading adventures, I've read four more books.  Here they are:

Book # 29


Book # 29 - Love is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield - The author is a music journalist, and I've seen him on several VH1 shows where they are talking about loving the '80s or other compilation type music shows.  I like music.  I like books.  I made mix tapes.  I have experienced love, life, and loss.  This was a book for me.  Many, many of the music references are from the indie rock world (not exactly my world of music), but the author and I are close to the same age.  He makes a few hair band references and chronicles musical genres/decades that I can easily follow.  He has a few other published books that I've added to my "to read" list. 

Book # 30
Book # 30 - Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - I preferred this book to the author's much more popular Gone Girl.  It was dark and disturbing, but I still found myself relating to the main character. 

Book # 31


Book # 31 - The Mourning Hours by Paula Treick DeBoard - This book was recommended on www.goodreads.com because of my reading lists and ratings of other books.  I'm glad it was.  It was another heart-wrenching, tumultous family crime type book (like the previous one), and I liked it even more than the previous one.  Never heard of the author; never heard of the book; but it was a good one. 

Book # 32


Book # 32 - Life After Death by Damien Echols - Damien Echols spent 18 years on death row for a heinous crime that he most likely did not commit.  This book does not go into detail about that crime.  You can google West Memphis 3 to find enough articles about that.  This book is insight to a person's psyche who lives over half his life on death row.  I'm a supporter of strong punishment for people who commit unspeakable, heinous crimes.  But, I also know that there are people on death row who don't belong there.  Huge dilemma, I know.  I find Damien Echols fascinating, and I think he appreciates his freedom and the little things in life a whole lot more than most of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!