Friday, July 8, 2016

My heart hurts

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral,
begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy.
Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it.
Through violence you may murder the liar,
but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. ...
Through violence you may murder the hater,
but you do not murder hate.
In fact, violence merely increases hate.
So it goes.
Returning violence for violence multiplies violence,
adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I do hope I got that quote correct.  I looked at a number of sources (some telling where MLK's words were mixed with another's facebook post and wrongly attributed to him.) 

It's really all I can say right now. 

Let your loved ones know that you love them and that are special people in your lives.

10 comments:

  1. my heart hurts too :( i can't seem to put anything in to words that makes any kind of sense, or minimizes one event over another. sigh. sending love!

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand the world :( I can't wrap my head around violence. It doesn't matter who you love, where you work, what color you are, who you worship, where you live, what your anatomy is, or anything- everyone matters and violence is never ever the solution :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hurt so badly for the world. I'm terrified of the world that my daughter will have in the future if things continue the way they are now. I just don't understand why...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm between frustrated, sad & heartbroken, to numb... its just all out of how my mind works. All this hate. WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just numb. What is going on? Violence is not the answer and it is only going to make things worse. I feel like the world has gone crazy. It scares me. "Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." #truth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was seriously so sad when we heard what happened and then I got mad. Mad that somebody would actually do something like this and mad that they would use a peaceful protest as well. I really do hope and pray that everybody can just get on the same side and stop all of the senseless violence that's been happening. It's not worth it and it doesn't solve any of the problems that our country has been having.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i feel like i am out of words for everything that keeps happening in the world right now. my heart hurts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Horrible news this morning. Makes me cry every time something like this happens and I think of their families. I can't imagine what causes someone to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything that has happened in the past couple of days is just horrific and unthinkable. I really worry for this country. I'm so heartbroken for the deceased and all of their loved ones. That graphic you included is really beautiful, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The world we live in is a sad sad place write now and that quote about sums up everything that can be said about it. How is violence the answer to violence? It makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!