Nope. It's not Thursday. But, Jana and I have a playlist to share this Thursday, so we're having Thursday Thoughts on Tuesday. Yes, I could've skipped it this week, but I had thoughts to share.
- Are you over the story about Ryan Lochte and his co-horts yet? Yes? Well, I just have one thing to say...(and I already said it on twitter)...If I live long enough to never hear "boys will be boys" used to justify inexcusable behavior ever again, then I will die a happy woman. What arrogant pricks.
- Speaking of pricks........I'm going to guess most all of you were able to avoid this news story that happened in Melbourne. Let me share it with you so you can be infuriated with me: Judge sympathises with Children's Court guard who had sex with 'wordly' 14-year-old Yes, ladies and gentlemen, rape culture continues to be alive and well...sentences for offenders continue to be laughable. Apparently, this magistrate went to the same "how to be a douche bag judge" school as the judge who gave Brock Turner (the Stanford swimmer rapist) his ridiculous punishment. I give zero fucks if this 14 year old girl lied about her age and was overtly sexual or promiscuous. She was outside the Children's Court when she met the 32 year old man. Maybe she was at the Court because her parents are in the midst of a custody battle for her, or she's a ward of the state, or has lived in group homes and witnessed sexual acts, or has been sexually abused herself. She's 14. I don't care what provocative clothes she wore, or if she claims to enjoy sex, or if she comes on to older men. The 32 year old is the adult, he is in the wrong, and the judge is also in the wrong for feeding him with excuses and giving him such a light sentence. What lesson have they taught this 14 year old? What message has been sent? What help is she receiving? My blood is boiling.
- Since my blood is already boiling, let me share another story from Australia that you may have missed...a female fan attending an AFL (Australian Football League) game threw a banana ate an indigenous football player. A banana. Her attempt at implying he is a monkey. Yes, disgusting displays of racism are alive and well in all corners of the world. In her apology, she claims "I regret my momentary lapse of judgement and I did not attend the game with the predetermined attitude of bringing the game into disrepute or to offend anyone." So, did she just bring that banana as a snack? If not, I'd say it was "predetermined" and not just a "momentary lapse of judgement."
- There are two times during the year that I especially enjoy the flood of pictures from my friends and family on facebook - their kiddos on the first day of school and their kiddos in Halloween costumes. I mean, I enjoy pics other times too, but these two times of the year are especially fun.
- The Axl-Slash-Duff version of Guns N Roses is coming to Australia in February!
- One of our televisions has decided to not work anymore. The husband will want to replace that. Last week, we had to shell out $800 for a car repair. Dontcha just hate unplanned expenses for non-fun stuff?
- If I make it to 105, there could be a similar story like this about me: For Her 105th B-Day, All She Wanted Was A "Burly, Tattooed Firefighter" . Happy birthday to Ivena!
- How fantastic is this news story??: Mobile shower van for homeless hits Brisbane streets The duo offering this service already introduced the world's first mobile free laundry for the homeless. What fantastic ideas and proof that two people can make a difference to others and their community.
Meme of the week:
Thursday Tuesday to you!