Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I show you my books, you show me yours vol.12

Hooray for Show Us Your Books link-up ~ the first of 2016!  Hooray for our hosts, Jana & Steph!  Hooray for all of you who participate!  Hooray for books!

Life According to Steph
 
I had a pretty enjoyable month of reading...well, as much as one can enjoy psychos, drug addicts, killers, war, and other "fun" topics.

Books I've read since last link-up:

 
1.  Finders Keepers by Belinda Bauer - The last of a trilogy I read, this was the best of the three.  Overall, the trilogy was good, not great, not run out and get this now, but good enough that I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys a little bit of mystery, a little bit of thriller, a little bit of creepiness, all set in a different locale than I usually read - an English village. (how's that for a run-on sentence?) 4/5
 
 2.  The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah - If you like historical fiction, read this book.  If you like strong female characters, read this book.  And, have a box of Kleenex next to you for the last 50 pages or so...and preferably don't read those pages in public.  5/5
 
3.  Finders Keepers by Stephen King - (follow-up to Mr. Mercedes) - Guess what.  Stephen King is a talented writer.  Admittedly, I haven't read many of his books, but those that I have tackled have been good ones.  Reading the various stories in this one, I knew they would all come together in a big ol' combustible ball of fire.  That they did.  Some things came together a little too easily, but it was still quite an enjoyable read.  Alright, I know I'm being pedantic, but early on, a song is quoted and they tell you what year it is happening.  The song wasn't released until a year later.  That edit really bugs me.  4/5
 
 4.  Tweak by Nic Sheff - I've read a lot of addiction memoirs. This young author writes with such detail about the lowest of low points that he reaches as an addict in a way that I'm not sure I've ever read before. He admits to so.many.horrific things, but I didn't feel it was for shock value.  He is insightful about his need for belonging, security...his low self-worth that leads to co-dependency and destructive relationships. Throw some mental illness in the mix, and he shows the struggles, dangers, and destruction of addiction.  4.5/5
 
 5.  Crank by Ellen Hopkins - A fictional account loosely based on the author's experiences with an drug-addicted daughter.  I'd had this on my TBR list awhile and never realized it's written in a series of poems.  Haunting, yes, but...I thought Tweak was better.  Because I'd just read Tweak prior to this, I noticed the role of destructive boyfriend/girlfriend relationships that played such a major role in the drug use/abuse too.  4/5
 
 6.  I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh - Thriller readers: read this book. You know when you're reading and think you've got it figured out...then you change your mind... then think "well, maybe"... then you are completely wrong...then you are kinda correct, but there's a twist...then you've figured part of it out but it doesn't matter because the book is still so good?  That was this book for me.  I stayed up past my bedtime because I couldn't put it down.  There was a teensy tinsy part of the end that bothered me, but I still highly recommend to those who like this genre. 4.75/5
 
7.  The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon - I think my problem (when I step out of my comfort zone and try to read a paranormal ghost story...which I do that from time to time) is this: I don't allow myself to get completely immersed into the story.  Too often, I'm holding back because I just don't believe it to be real.  I like escapism.  I like good stories.  I enjoy scary movies every now and then.  But, books about people being brought back from the dead just don't pull me into them far enough for me to really "get" them.  I keep trying though.  3/5
  
Currently Reading:  Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol
 
Waiting for the library to deliver:  Beautiful Boy by David Sheff (the companion book to Tweak)
 
I've shown you mine, now you show me yours!


34 comments:

  1. Ooh, adding The Nightingale to my list! Glad I'm not the only one who has those months where I look at my list of reviews and think, "Wow, that was a cheerful month of reading!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tweak and Crank sound like really heavy books but worth a read. I'm adding I Let You Go. I didn't know The Winter People had a paranormal element, oops now I am not as excited to read it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you've read more books since the last link-up than i've read in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Let You Go sounds like it's for me!

    Tweak might be too. I read Crank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading Beautiful Boy and have been back and forth on wanting to read Tweak to get the son's perspective, but now I'm interested! I was surprised by how much I liked Winter People because I don't care for fantasy or super natural elements in books, but for some reason it was sooo scary to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you need to review all the books always. bc you're short and sweet and i get what you're putting down. also i think i want to read tweak. you pick the best books girl! now if i could finish a book in less than a year... :)

    xoxo cheshire kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I need to read Nightingale. I've heard/read so many people say "if you like historical fiction you'll love this." And I love historical fiction... haha! Erin, will you have any type of post to link up to each month for your book challenge? If so, count me in :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'm the only blogger on the planet who has no interest in reading The Nightingale. But I don't like historical fiction which is probably why I'm not drawn to it.

    I have a bunch of these already on my TBR because of course I do. #twinsies

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK - I've gotta add Tweak and I Let you Go to my list.. both sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Let You Go really intrigues me. I love that type of book, so thanks for the recommendation!! I also can't wait to read the Nightingale; I already have that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep seeing Finders Keepers around. Good to know I should read Mr. Mercedes first! King became one of my absolute favorites last summer. They're ginormous but you really get sucked into his writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you're like the millionth person to rave about the Nightingale and I still have yet to read it! I think it's high tide I give in because I love historical fiction and strong female characters

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read Kristin Hannah, I should look into this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to get my butt back on the Stephen King boat, I think. I love his classics - Carrie, The Shining, Cujo, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've added a couple of these suggestions to my Goodreads - thank you! I need to find more time to read, I love it but it often gets pushed to the side.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the nightingale <3
    i like fantasy and such, but i am never really on board with ghost / bringing people back from the dead type books. it's weird, i can believe almost anything, or enjoy anything, except that.
    i let you go sounds interesting, even though that's not my normal genre, your review intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i totally crapped the bed with reading since november because work has been ruining my life! hopefully when things die down after this phase of my project is over, i'll be able to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tweak and I Let You Go have been added to my list!!! Nightingale is already on there :) The Winter People sounds interesting. Not sure how I feel about ghosts and stuff.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I added I Let You Go and I already have Nightingale. I like that the third book of that trilogy was your favorite (seems like usually the third book is the worst).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved The Nightingale! So glad you enjoyed it! I Let You Go has been on my to read list already, but I'll have to read it sooner than later now! I really liked the Crank series...the format, the storyline, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're the second person to talk about the Crank series and recommend it. I had to add it to my TBR list. And I can't wait for The Nightingale! I have four more books to read for the SCWBC15 (fingers crossed I can do it!), and then that'll be my first book I read in February! I just can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am anxious to read I Let You Go. I can't find it, though. I can find a used copy on Amazon for some crazy amount that I will not pay, but it looks as if it is going to be re-released sometime in May.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I did enjoy The Nightingale. I've only read one King book (11/22/63), but maybe I should try another.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Nightingale was one of my favorite books ever and also one of the saddest! I really want to check out I Let You Go !

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Nightingale is added to the list!! I love King, but I was not a fan of Mr. Mercedes...I don't know, just not his top game :) The Winter People sounds interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Nightingale and I Let You Go are on my list! I liked Crank a lot, but thought the rest of the series went downhill. I feel the same way as you about paranormal stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooh good to know about the nightingale. I really want to read that one, AT HOME. ;) I am super excited for your book challenge, almost solidified my list. XO -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  28. I added "I Let You Go" to my to read list. Love a good thriller!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm just working on a review for "The Nightingale" right now. Such an amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm excited to read The Nightingale for your challenge! I'm on the waiting list at the library (and it is LONG), but I should definitely be able to get it and finish it way before the challenge ends.

    I'm adding Tweak and I Let You Go to my "To Read" list. These both sound like my kind of books!

    Jennifer McMahon is one of those authors that I mostly like but also kind of don't. (That probably makes no sense, but we'll go with it.) I've read three of her books, and I enjoyed all of them ... Mostly. My biggest issue with her books is the fact that the endings often end up a hot mess.

    One of the worst was Don't Breathe a Word. I actually loved that book overall. It was one of those "stay-up-all-night-because-I-have-to-know-what-happens-next" kind of books for me. The story was much different than many of the other books I've ever read, and even though it dealt with some supernatural things (which isn't really my cup of tea), it gave me chills and kept me guessing. And then came the end. I have no idea what happened. It was like she had a few different ideas and then thought, "I can't choose! I'll just use them all!" It was seriously one of the worst endings I've ever read. EVER. I still gave it 5 stars on Goodreads because I loved the rest of the book so much ... But the end was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think Nightingale has been on my list for a while, but maybe I need to bump it up. I also added I Let You Go to my list. Sometimes I enjoy putting together the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Haven't read any of these titles. The Nightingale really caught my attention though! Thanks for sharing—and thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I Let You Go looks interesting. I'm going to check it out. I read Tweak and Beautiful Son when they first came out. I saw that Sheff has another book out now. And Nightingale is on my must read list for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I read the book by the Tweak guy's father and liked it, so Tweak is definitely on my list. The Nightingale is, too - thanks for the tip on the end!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!