Tuesday, January 10, 2017

I show you my books, you show me yours... vol.24


Jana & Steph are bringing us book lovin' bloggers our favorite day of the month again - Show Us Your Books day ~ and, it's the first one of 2017 ~ and, it's my "vol.24", so I guess that means it's my official 2 years of participation.  Thanks to the hosts and to each and every one of you book lovin' bloggers that create this fan-freaking-tastic community.

Since the last link-up, I wasn't reading as much...I wasn't reading books, blogs, or social media as much as I normally do.  We all have those months.  But, still, let's take a look at what I did read...

Here's what I've read since the last link-up:


1.  Plan B by Jonathan Tropper - "You were majoring in sociology, which is pretty much the equivalent of majoring in unemployment."  This was on page 7.  I majored in sociology.  Yep, Jonathon Tropper hooked me again.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again...good-gawd-almighty, I love his books.  There were some absurd situations in this story, and as his debut novel, I can tell he has finessed his skills...but...I freaking love Tropper's writing and characters.  4/5

2.  The Broken Shore by Peter Temple - Oops.  I just realized that I didn't give an update to say that I completed the 2016 Aussie Author Challenge with this book.  A lot of characters. A lot of story lines. Some unnecessary. When it was good, it was great. Other times, I felt like I was wading through knee deep mud.  3/5

3.  The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd - I bought this book from a secondhand bookstore two, maybe even three, years ago.  It has been sitting there waiting for me to read it.  What took me so long?  An example of why I enjoy books challenges ~ I finally pick up books like this because they work for a category ~ it gives me the extra push I need to finally read delightful books like this.  These characters, the setting, the stories, they all made my heart so full.  5/5

4.  Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers - I have no idea how to rate or review this book. Teens being mean, nasty, hateful, cruel, and violent...that's what this book is about, and I feel a little dirty for gobbling it up the way I did. A lot of it seemed so far-fetched, but is it? After all, there are suicides by teenagers due to the emotional trauma and turmoil of bullying. I'm grateful that I did not experience the degree of this ugly behaviour firsthand. If my school had a "fearsome fivesome", I don't know who they were (thank goodness).  It is difficult to say I enjoyed it because it is full of that many hateful actions, but it is a well-written YA book.  3.5/5                 

Currently Reading:  The Girl Before by Rena Olsen

I've shown you mine, now you show me your........books........

26 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear what you think of The Girl Before. I've read two books with that title recently and really liked both! Haha. I have had The Secret Life of Bees on my Kindle for years too. Maybe I'll read it if you do another Read Your Books challenge! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Secret Life of Bees years ago and I can't actually remember the plot. LOL. I think I liked it at the time though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read a Jonathon Tropper book as he wrote/created one of my favorite guilty pleasures, Banshee, on Cinemax. Girl Before Me is on my TBR and I'm hoping to get to it next month because I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read any Jonathan Tropper. I need to check him out. I've also meant to read Secret Life of Bees but haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to try some Jonathan Tropper sometime this year. Secret Life of Bees has been on my to-read list for years - glad to hear it was a 5 star read for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read the The Secret Life of Bees. But now I think I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adding The Secret Life of Bees! I'm glad SUYB is today - good motivation to cut back on my fairytale fluff and get started on the challenge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Secret Life of Bees is one of my favorites. I'm really glad that you enjoyed it! I haven't read any Jonathan Tropper yet.. but I definitely want to! I still feel like I'm trying to recover from xmas as far as blogging and reading goes, lol. But I am working on my 6.0 list for your challenge! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow... I read Secret Life of Bees so long ago. You make me want to find it & read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gobbled up Some Girls Are too. It's so dark and terrible, but as you said...it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some Girls Are = stomach punch.

    I adored The Secret Life of Bees when I read it years ago.

    Tropper is an author I can rely on to give me something I'll like every time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plan B sounds like a good one.
    I'm glad you liked The Secret Life of Bees. I remembered really loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still haven't read The Secret Life of Bees either, but I loved the movie! I'd love to go back and read it. Plan B sounds really interesting, so hopefully I can get around to reading it, and Some Girls Are sounds really interesting but sad too. It's on my TBR list, so hopefully I'll read it sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some Girls Are is probably one of the hardest books I've ever read but I do remember that I absolutely loved it. I feel like I read The Secret Life of Bees and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. some girls are is on my list, bu i did have nasty girls in my school so i'm not sure if i want to read it. then again, i don't think they were that bad. so maybe i should. i haven't read the secret life of bees, but i have seen the movie (many years ago) so maybe i should check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had a lot going on in the last month so I understand you not reading as much! I loved Secret Life of Bees!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really liked The Secret Life of Bees and Some Girls Are (though I know what you mean about how nasty/cruel the girls were. I think the book was well written and depicted something that is a reality in a lot of schools, which is why I liked it.). I only read Tropper's This Is Where I Leave You but really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are some books I feel SO behind on. The Secret Life of Bees is one. The Nightingale is another. I need to get to those ones that everyone LOVES so I don't feel so left out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who is this Jonathan Tropper? I need to know more. I'm sold on that line too :) Human Development major, here. As interesting as it sounds, what does it really mean? You need to go to grad school :) This linkup always lengthens my TBR times 10. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really do want to read Some Girls Are. I was pretty much left alone in high school and I think most bullying wasn't too outright, but I do know some teens/schools are AWFUL.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adding that Tropper book to my list.

    I hope you enjoy Rena's book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Plan B sounds interesting & possibly somewhat relateable as I'm nearing 30. I keep hearing good things about The Girl Before and need to add that to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I extra loved Bees after my city got a shout out. It's silly, but ya know it's the simple things with me.

    Tropper is an author I'd like to read through all of his books eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't know Jonathan Tropper had a new book. I can't wait to read it. Love his quirkiness.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I keep hearing great things about The Secret Life of Bees! I've been meaning to read it for freaking ever!

    -- Dara || www.peoniesandhoneybees.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooh, Plan B sound good! And I think I picked up the Secret Life of Bees secondhand a few years ago, too, but still haven't gotten to it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!