Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Soundwave Music Festival 2015 - My Experience

If you read my Friday Favorites a few days ago, you know that I was at Soundwave this weekend.  (If you didn't read them, shame on you! Go read them now, then come back and join us.) 

Let's get a few basics out of the way...

The Weather:
It's the end of summertime in Sydney, and we were definitely feeling the heat on Saturday and half of Sunday.  Temps were pushing the high 30s (high 90s, close to 100 for my Fahrenheit peeps).  Then, a storm rolled in on Sunday afternoon with buckets of rain falling on us and high winds.  A band (All Time Low) had to be stopped, their equipment got messed up (well, they actually said something else, but I'm trying to be polite for my PG rated readers), and had their set cut short.  They handled it like champs singing one of their songs a capella and leading the crowd in a clap-a-long/sing-a-long of 'We Will Rock You'.  Many people ran for the hills (or covered areas), but I was holding firm in my front row spot on the barrier waiting for my favorite live band who was scheduled to play next (more about them soon).  The temperature dropped about 15 degrees (25 degree F drop)...I was soaking wet...I admit it; I was shivering.
before & after the storm
Takin' Care of Things:
I made a few wise decisions.  One of these choices was takin' care of my feet.  I've had these Air Jordans for a very, very, very long time.  They took care of me this weekend.  My feet were comfortable.  No pain, no aches, no blisters.  Ain't nobody got time for that.
Second wise decision: takin' care of hydration and taking full advantage of the 'Free Water' stations.  I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate the Soundwave folks providing these stations.  In that heat, you need to hydrate.  Instead of trying to suck every last dollar out of the crowd, a row of taps are provided to fill up water bottles.  Also, if you're up front at the barrier (like I was on the second day), volunteers and security guards are constantly handing out free cups of water.  Really, I can't say enough how much I appreciate this service.  Think about it.  I probably drank no less than 20 bottles of water over the two days.  At $4 each, that would be $80 more to spend over the weekend. 

After the first day of limiting my phone use, I spotted a tent advertising a way to recharge my phone.  I decided I needed to be takin' care of my phone, and this portable recharger was the way to do it!


I saw a mob of people hanging at this pizza food truck all day during the first day (Happy As Larry).  I wanted the pizza, but I didn't want to wait.  I was smart on day two.  I knew I was going to be standing in one spot all day long...and I knew I needed some food to give me strength for that task, so I decided takin' care of the hunger was a good way to start the day.  So, I spent the best $13.50 I'd spent all weekend and had this as soon as I got there.

At the start of day one, I was hot and thirsty.  I had yet to discover the free water stations.  I thought I needed some adult beverages to quench my thirst.  After paying $8 for the cider and $12 for the frozen margarita, I decided takin' care of my funds was a better idea, and the free water was a better option.  I wasn't there to drink; I was there to see good music.



Next, the important stuff...the MUSIC!  You've done enough reading today; that post starts tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited to hear about the music! You're a true fan that even downpours couldn't get you to move from your ace spot. That's what I like to hear. Is the Strongbow in the can like the stuff you can find stateside/UK? It has such a different look to it! (That's one of my fave things about expat blogs!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why it always rains during festivals. There must be some kind of conspiracy. It rained every single time I went to a festival. So cool they provided free water. It can really be expensive to stay hydrated otherwise. Cannot wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great that they set up the free water stations for folks. Awesome idea & good for you for taking care of yourself & enjoying the music. Now, bring on the music! Ha!

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a trooper!!! That's amazing about the free water stations. I've never seen that before, but I'm sure it helped keep everyone hydrated, especially those who weren't looking after their funds and were spending all their money on alcohol!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!