Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Ten Books from Childhood/Teen Years That I'd Re-Visit

http://www.brokeandbookish.com/2015/03/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-from-our.html?showComment=1427175223648#c158233646083705009
Every Tuesday, bookworms unite at "The Broke and the Bookish" for a link-up of top ten book related items.  This week was "Ten Books from our Childhood/Teen Years that We'd Like to Re-Visit".  I'm writing this without much thought...just what comes to me right now, so let's see how this plays out...

1.  The Poky Little Puppy by - This is the book that I remember loving the most in early childhood.  I liked puppies.  I probably could relate to a poky little puppy that got distracted by all the things.  I remember reading it or it being read to me over and over again. I even had a 45 record that played on a record player that I could read along to. This was my most beloved book at the time. 


2. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - The first book to make me sob.  The end.


3. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson -A beautiful friendship sprinkled with some creative imaginations and more tears.  This is one fine book.


4.  The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - A few months ago, I read this for a book challenge that wanted us to read something written before we were born.  I read it as a child, I read it in my early 20s for a Children's Lit course, and I read it again a few months ago.  It gets better each time I read it.


5.  The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger - I remember reading this in high school and truly enjoying it (not feeling like I had to read it for school).  That being said I don't remember exactly why I liked it.  I can't tell you much of the story line; I can't tell you what I thought of the lead character.  So, this is one I will definitely re-visit.  

6.  Lord of the Flies by William Golding - This is one of those books that I cheated during school.  Well, I didn't cheat exactly.  I just read the Cliff's Notes and listened intently during class to get the gist of the story.  I think as an adult, I would appreciate the dynamics of the story so much more.  Another to definitely re-visit.


7. Flowers in the Attic by V.C Andrews - Still to this day, I enjoy reading somewhat emotionally distressing or disturbing books.  This one may have started that for me.  I'd like to re-visit and see if it is as messed up as I remember.

8.  Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi with Curt Gentry -  I went through a period of time in my teens when I read a lot of true crime.  Yes, my mother was worried about my fascination with serial killers.  But, I wasn't fascinated with only the killer.  I was/am fascinated with the crime, the investigation, the prosecution, the justice, and the mind behind the killer.  This one has all of that.


9.  Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis - To this day, I still read and enjoy a lot of rock biographies.  This one was my first.  I read it as a teenager, a somewhat naive teenager and definitely many of the stories were quite scandalous to read.  From the stories of groupies, debauchery, and Jimmy Page's interest in the occult, my eyes were opened a little wider to the excess of rock 'n' roll.  I need to read this again.


10.  Rules of Prey by John Sandford - I've read every piece of fiction that John Sandford has written, and it began with this my Senior year of high school.  A bad ass detective hunts a madman killer.  Most of his books follow the same premise, and I've read all 20-30 or more of them.  Probably should go back and visit this one to remember when I was first introduced to Lucas Davenport (aforementioned bad ass detective).

Would any of these be on your list?  What are some books from your childhood or teenage years that you'd like to re-visit?


13 comments:

  1. Oh I TOTALLY love Katherine Paterson!! She kind of half squeezed on my list when I mentioned Master Puppeteer. Zomg, I loved Jacob Have I Loved and also The Great Gilly Hopkins too. She is a MASTER writer. I totally want to reread all her stuff right now. xD
    Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to re-read The Catcher In The Rye as well. It has been a while. And like you I loved to read about crimes, investigations, serial killers etc. as a teen as well. I still do. It is really fascinating. As a kid I loved detective series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Sandford reader! I didn't read my first until my early 20's but caught up very quickly. I love that he's so prolific - having an author I can count on for two books a years is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I CAN'T BELIEVE LORD OF THE FLIES IS ON HERE. I ABHOR THAT BOOK. It's the only book I've read that I would actually say I hated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, flowers in the attic! i remember when i discovered that book, i was obsessed. i read all of hers. my favourite was ... what was it called, hold on let me google. my sweet audrina. have you read it? super messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Pokey Little Puppy - loved it! Ha! I also enjoyed Flowers in the Attic - book & movie. :)

    Mandie ~ http://badbrewpack.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know I still haven't read Lord of the Flies, I need to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bridge to Terabithia scarred me. I don't think I could ever read that book again. It was so depressing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, I loved The Pokey Little Puppy! My parents actually have all my Little Golden Books boxed up and awaiting any future grandchildren. ;) I read The Catcher in the Rye for the first time recently and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Secret Garden was on my list, too! I love that book -- read it to pieces. Great list -- I didn't read most of these till I was in my mid-teens!

    Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Catcher in the Rye my senior year of high school and thought it was meh. I read it a few years ago when I graduated from university and I loved it. I felt a weird kind of kinship to Holden and feeling lost and unsure of my place in the world. That made me really interested in going back and re-reading the books I both loved and hated when I was younger. Now this challenge has me curious to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great list! I was introduced to John Sanford so late in life. I have only yet read one of his books, but I did really enjoy it.

    Catcher in the Rye was a favorite of mine when I read it in high school. As well as Lord of the Flies.

    I never did finish Flowers in the Attic. I read Bridge to Terabithia a few years ago and thought it was such a touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved, loved The Secret Garden as a kid!! Anytime I see an overgrown type garden with ivy I think of that book! Where the Red Fern Grows, we read that in the 6th grade and I bawled and bawled.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!