Tuesday, September 13, 2016

I show you my books, you show me yours... vol.20


Jana & Steph are bringing us book lovin' bloggers our favorite day of the month again - Show Us Your Books day!  It's the day of the month that my goodreads gets the most activity...and I do love myself some goodreads.  Be my friend (if we aren't already.)

What I've read since our last link-up:

1.  The Kept Woman by Karin Slaughter - Karin Slaughter is one of my favorite crime fiction authors, and this book is a prime example why. The story is gripping, and the characters are well-developed. Stories that are inter-connected include foster care, child abuse, personal relationships, domestic violence, parental relationships, the power of sports stars, and more. Does that seem like too much? It isn't. Slaughter works all of the stories together to make for a great read.  Don't let the fact that this is part of a series scare you off.  She gives enough information for you to read this as a stand alone thriller.  5/5

2.  Hate List by Jennifer Brown - The story of what happens to those impacted by a school shooting that left some dead, some physically injured, and many emotionally scarred. This is Valerie's story. Her boyfriend was the shooter. Some see Valerie as a perpetrator, others see her as a hero, and some don't even want to see her at all. I enjoyed taking this journey with Valerie. 4.5/5

3.  I See You by Clare Mackintosh - I was super excited when I received notification from the library that this book was in.  After all, I loved this author's debut thriller I Let You Go.  Unfortunately, it didn't live up to expectations.  It was just "okay" to me.  The concept is quite disturbing and frightening - females' exact daily routines on public transportation including physical description and a photo published (without permission) to a website. This opens up opportunities for chance encounters and dates, as well as sexual assaults and murders. Good concept, right? I just didn't feel as wrapped up in the story as I thought I should have been. I don't think I'd discourage anyone from reading this book, I'm just not highly recommending it either.  3/5

4.  One Foot in Eden by Ron Rash - After reading Cormac McCarthy, and now Ron Rash, I'm thinking that I enjoy this regional Southern Gothic genre.  This book captures the setting and culture of the Appalachia region telling a story over decades from the perspective of five different people touched by a murder.  3.75/5

 5.  The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood - I had things to say about this book, and I said them in this post.  Very different.  Thought-provoking.  4/5

6.  Missoula:  Rape and the Justice System in a College Town by Jon Krakauer - I had things to say about this book too, and you can read them in this post.  Relevant.  Infuriating and important.  4/5

7.  The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman - I'm in the minority with this one.  I wasn't a fan.  It was one particular character (an important character to the story) that ruined it for me.  If you want to know more, I have a review on goodreads WITH SPOILERS.  2/5

8.  Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover - For this book, the author teamed with a musician to create a soundtrack of sorts (which is a super cool, creative idea.)  This book isn't perfect, but I forgive its flaws because overall, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, and there are some really wonderful moments. I'm glad I saw this at the library, recognized the cover from readers' recommendations in my book challenge, and picked it up.  4.5/5 for the enjoyment factor.

9.  Blood on Snow by Jo Nesbo - I didn't get invested enough in the characters or the story to get too excited about the book.  2/5

Will you add any of these to your "to read" list?


29 comments:

  1. saw light between oceans with my mom and her friends today. i, too, felt similarly about the aforementioned (i love that word. it's not used nearly as often as it should be) character. but the role was played well in the film. i spent the majority of my time utterly pissed off at the main characters, and then i worried for them. so... i suppose the story accomplishes what it seeks to do. and erin, the pictures in the film... the cinematography is stunning throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crime/mystery/thrillers are my favorite genre(s) and I really need to read more Karin Slaughter. But I'll start at the beginning because I love finding a good series and the more books in it - the better! :) The idea behind I See You sounds really good, but I'm sad that it's not as strong of an outing as I Let You Go, which I really enjoyed. I really want to read The Natural Way of Things, but as I mentioned previously, my library does not carry the book. I just might have to fork out the dough for it! I have not read The Light Between Oceans yet. It's on my TBR, but the subject matters makes me really twitchy. And I suspect I will feel the same way as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Jon Krakauer; he always picks interesting topics. The Missoula book sounds good. Hate List also sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe Someday sounds like a fun read. I have been putting off The Light Between Oceans for a long time because I think the subject matter would be hard but I might get to it someday. I also really want to read I Let You Go but good to know the next one wasn't as good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate List sounds interesting. Have you ever read Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult? It's also about a school shooting and one of the most emotionally confusing books I've ever read. This synopsis reminded me of that.

    Missoula has been on my mind for so long. I'm so torn about whether or not it's something I want to/need to read. Definitely not now—I can't bear the thought with what's happening lately. But I think I probably should someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nineteen Minutes is one of her strongest books. And I agree, it leaves you very confused, morally and emotionally.

      Delete
  6. i need to give karin slaughter another go. i had her book (can't remember the name but it was a red cover with a hand print?) but that was right on the heels of The Nightingale and at that time, nothing was as good as the nightingale so i returned it :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I've only read one or two of Karin Slaughter's books.

    Missoula is still on my list but I just can't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. adding the natural way of things! what a pretty cover, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's disappointing that I See YOu wasn't that good, but I suppose I Let You Go was a lot to live up to!

    Hate List has been on my list for so long... I should probably read that.

    I'm currently reading Shogun for your book challenge. It's so LONG!! So far much better than I was expecting though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i haven't read anything by Karin Slaughter, but i think her books are on my TBR. Hate List is on my list, someone recommended it to me after i had mixed feelings about thirteen reasons why, though i didn't know it was about a shooting.
    I See You sounds terrifying! bummer it wasn't executed as well. i really liked i let you go, so i might skip that one.
    oh bummer you didn't love the light between oceans or whatever it's called. off to read your spoilery review. i read it like a year or 2 ago i think.
    maybe someday is on my list.. i like and dislike colleen hoover. her books have flaws for sure, and sometimes i can look past them and other times they make me despise the book, so i have to be in the right mood for one of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read anything by Colleen Hoover before but right now I am reading her book It Ends with Us. It's not too bad so far! I loved Light Between Oceans but I can understand it being hard to read! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm adding The Hate List to my pick up list now.
    I had no desire to read The Lights Between Oceans - but I do want to see the movie. LOVE that guy ... Magneto... YES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Kept Woman sounds interesting. Light Between Oceans is on my TBR list but I keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely felt the same way as you did about Light Between Oceans. I just downloaded I Let You Go this week because it was $1.99, so I am excited to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hate List was a hard book to read. I don't think I liked it quite as much as you did but it did give you lots to think about. The Light Between Oceans is on my TBR but I don't know why. It's not a topic I can handle and it's historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read Serena by Ron Rash and thought it was alright. I might have to check out the one you mentioned.
    They're making a movie of The Light Between... with the deliciously yummy Michael Fassbender. I don't have much interest in the book or the movie, but I have an interest in him ;) Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you said not to worry about the Karin Slaughter book being part of a series, because your review sounds so good and I didn't want to have to read seven books before this one! I won't read your spoilers on Light Between Oceans because I'm still going to read it for the challenge. Might have to add Hate List, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read anything by Karin Slaughter- would this be a good one to start with? Also I'm curious, did you listen to the soundtrack while reading Maybe Someday? I'm in the majority re: Lights Between Oceans, but I can appreciate what/who you didn't love about it. The sister of Hannah part really pissed me off too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You had so many good reads this month!!! The Hate List book seems super interesting. Karin Slaughter has always been on my too read list, but I don't think I've every really read anything by her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Colleen Hoover is one of my favorite authors! Glad you liked Maybe Someday. I loved Hate List too. Difficult subject but great book. I See You is on my to read list already. I thought the Light Between Oceans was okay. I didn't love it either, but I will have to read your review as to why you didn't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was so surprised by your rating for Light Between Oceans as I loved it (5 stars!), but I'm glad you posted a review with spoilers, because I've been dying to know your real thoughts on it. I get what you're saying - I didn't agree with a lot of those same things, but I tried to think about what times were like back then...wasn't it normal for babies to show up on doorsteps? No? Or is this just something that happens in movies, haha? I think I was so emotionally invested in the book because I was actually really torn between the two women (as awful as that seems). The book definitely had me emotionally invested, that's for sure! Do you think you will watch the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been wanting to read another book by Karin Slaughter because I liked Pretty Girls-- The Woman Kept sounds really interesting. I just went to read your review on The Natural Way of Things and I'm really intrigued by that one too (plus, the cover is totally drawing me too).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looking into Maybe Someday and The Natural Way of things. I got Ron Rash's Serena, but I haven't started it yet. Bummer that I See You didn't live up to expectations. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  24. If it makes you feel better, I have no desire to even read The Light Between Oceans. I read your review on goodreads ha ha.
    I don't know if I would try another Slaughter book...I didn't finish Pretty Girls because the first third of the book was boring I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Missoula sounds like a difficult, but important, read. I'm having trouble working up enthusiasm for books involving fictitious horrible things happening to people, because there's just so much real life awful in the world at the moment that I can barely cope with that.

    Also I read your review of the Light Between the Oceans and it's totally put me off reading it (I wasn't that keen to begin with, due to the aforementioned) because I'd feel exactly the same way as you. And I struggle with books where I fundamentally disagree with the protagonist!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think your review of Light Between Oceans is what made me hesitate to read it. Butttt the movie is out and if I want to see the movie, I have to see the book. #priorities.
    I did add The Natural Way of Things and Maybe Someday to my TBR, but I have a feeling they are more towards the bottom of the list right now because I'm scared to read such creepy books. I need happy feels.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've had Hate List on my list forever and wasn't sure why but your thoughts made me want to give it a shot. I'm also interested to check out The Light Between Oceans as you are one of the few who isn't gushing about it, but I totally get how one bad character can ruin the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I will have to check out Karin Slaughter.

    For some reason I keep putting A Light Between Oceans off....I just get the sense it might not be for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!