Tuesday, March 14, 2017

I show you my books, you show me yours... vol.26


It's Show Us Your Books Day!  The day hosted by Jana & Steph, the day that makes my goodreads "to read" list grow, and the day I interact with a blogging community of readers.  I love this day of the month.

What I've read since last link-up:

1.  How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathon Tropper - This is one of the only authors in yearsssss that I loved so much, I knew that I must read everyone of his books.  I don't binge read, meaning I don't read all the same author at once.  I sprinkled his books in over time, and now I've read all six of Tropper's published books.  With this one, as always, I love the flawed characters.  I love the dysfunctional relationships.  I love the writing style, the pace, the humor mixed with sadness.  A solid 4/5.

2.  Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon - I know.  A lot of other bloggers and readers have already read this book and fell in love with Madeline and Oliver (or Maddy and Olly.)  My goodreads tells me that 21 "friends" have marked it "to read".  Well, get on it.  It's a quick read and a lovely little book with some valuable lessons.  I'm not one to highlight or remember book quotes, but this one jumped off the page and settled into my heart:  "Just because you can't experience everything doesn't mean you shouldn't experience anything."

3.  The Secret River by Kate Grenville - I felt like I'd read a book assigned by a university professor, and I should write a paper analyzing topics such as poverty and crime, the colonization of Australia, class systems, violence and the mob mentality, entitlement by white settlers and the atrocities committed by them towards indigenous people, money does not equal happiness, the fight of indigenous people to keep their land and their culture, and more. This is my first historical fiction book set during the colonization of Australia, and I appreciated its descriptive writing, as I felt it painted a picture of many scenes and settings. Also, some of the horrors that are committed were difficult to read and to stomach because of the authenticity of the descriptive writing. It is not a fast-paced book, but it is vivid and provocative and a well-written story. 4/5

4.  The Murder House by James Patterson and David Ellis - Do you like James Patterson books? Read this one. Do you like thrillers? Read this book. Twists and turns galore. 4.5/5

5.  One Plus One by Jojo Moyes - I liked this book. I didn't love it, but I liked it a lot.   I enjoyed the support characters more than the mains. 3.75/5 because I give crazy review scores like that.

6.  Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult - So much praise has already been given to this book, all justified and deserved. I'm not sure it's possible to read this book and not be uncomfortable in parts. It is thought-provoking and emotion-filled.  Like others, I felt the ending was abrupt.
Something that I will add that I haven't seen others mention, I couldn't help but hearing echoes at times from John Grisham's A Time to Kill. When Carl Lee tells his attorney, Jake, that they aren't friends. That Jake is his "secret weapon" because, like Kennedy, he is well-meaning, yes, but still a privileged white person. Grisham's book was written close to 30 years ago, but here we are with the same themes and prevalent racism. The comparison of the two books leaves me disheartened that we haven't improved more and bettered ourselves as a society, and I appreciate the reminder from Jodi Picoult that there are ways to continue to learn, grow, and evolve. 4/5


7.  Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens - I liked the idea of this book, but I never fully connected to the main character which made me feel like something was lacking.  Still, I enjoyed it enough to continue being a fan of this author.  3/5

I've shown you mine, now you show me yours...





36 comments:

  1. i'm not a moyes fan...i've tried reading the 'popular' books but they're a no-go for me.

    I do however, like Patterson! will be adding that to my list.

    if you like those thriller/twister books, read The Last Mile (David Baldacci).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember really liking Everything, Everything as well. I remember that quote, too! I think I have that Jojo Moyes, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am the same as you with authors books, i hate to binge read them, i compare too much or they start to feel the same, so i like to sprinkle them as well. of course sometimes that means it's years until i get to another haha.
    aw love that everything everything quote. it's on my to read list! hopefully this year lol.
    i loved one plus one :) and i think i liked it more after i finished it as time went on, because i kept thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a Tropper book on my TBR, I need to get around to it. Everything Everything sounds good too!!! I enjoyed One Plus One and Small Great Things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Everything, Everything re: Maddy & Ollie. But I don't feel like the seriousness of what her mom did was addressed at all...that is seriously deranged and it just kind of got blown off, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to bump up Everything, Everything thanks to your recommendation!! I have The Sun is Also a Star from her out from the library right now. One Plus One was way better than I was expecting and so different from some of her other work. I need to get to some Jonathan Tropper sometime...which book of his would you recommend starting with??
    I like James Patterson and haven't gotten to that one of his yet. Someday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list of books! The book "This is Where I Leave You" will always be one of my favorites, but it's the only one I've read by Tropper, so I'll add this to my to-read list. Also Jodi's book--I have been hearing a lot about it lately and it sounds right up my alley.

    Thanks so much for sharing these!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay I have to agree with Brittany above - the insanity of the mother ruined all of the nice and sweet feelings that Everything, Everything could have left me with... I would love a sequel addressing the years of therapy that they will both need!

    I'm finally going to add Small Great Things. I've seen it enough places now to be convinced :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Secret River sounds really intriguing based on your review. Despite Everything, Everything being everywhere (and having a pretty cover) I've never added it to my tbr list and don't even really know what it's about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only like James Patterson co-written books. Like this one! Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adding The Secret River and How to Talk to a Widower to my TBR list now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just cant wait to see the movie of Everything, Everything.. see how true they stay to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to read Trooper! You rave about him and I really think I'd like his books. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it to you but he created one of my favorite shows, Banshee, although it sounds very different from his books. It's very pulp fiction. Ah, Murder House. I'm sorry to say that it was not a favorite of mine and that bummed me out. I'm not a diehard Patterson fan but I normally enjoy his books. One Plus One was my favorite Moyes book (and technically the only one I've read, HA!) Small Great Things is on my TBR and I will openly admit the subject matter is a very touchy one for me, which is why I haven't do so already. And yes, it is very sad that same themes relevant A Time to Kill still ring true today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVED Everything, Everything. I read it in one sitting. I just saw the movie trailer and it looks pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, I just started Everything, Everything yesterday and I got to like 60%. Such a quick read, and I didn't want to put it down/can't wait to pick it back up later today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Everything, Everything. Such a cute read. :) I just read my first Chevy Stevens book this month, and I think I'll need to pick up more of them (though maybe not Never Knowing?). I felt the same way about One Plus One.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never read Jonathan Tropper, but I am going to need to add him to my list. I haven't read that Jodi Picoult book yet. I've picked it up a few times at the library but can't bring myself to check it out -- I don't know why! I think maybe I'm nervous that I've heard such wonderful things about it and I won't end up liking it as much as everyone esle does!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I still need to read Small Great Things - a lot of people really do love that one! I haven't read Everything Everything yet either but I MUST before seeing the movie.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really liked Everything Everything and just read her newest The Sun Is Also a Star which I also highly recommend. Can't believe I haven't read The Murder House yet since I'm a James Patterson fan. Just added it to my to read list. Never Knowing and One Plus One are already on my to read list. I read Small Great Things last month as well and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so excited that you're sending me a Tropper book! The only one I've read by Chevy Stevens was Still Missing, but I loved it and need to read more of her work. I have You Before Me by Jojo Moyes on my shelf and am looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything Everything and Small Great Things have both been on my list for a while, so obviously I need to jump on the bandwagon and get them read! You know how much I love James Patterson so I will definitely be picking up The Murder House at some point in time! I also really need to read more Jojo Moyes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that you give scores of .75 :-D

    Everything, Everything has been on my list for a while. Soooo many books to fit in! I have 2 more to read for your bonus round then on to everything else :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adding How to Talk to a Widower to my list!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have so much Jonathan Tropper on my TBR. I need to get on it! I read Kate Grenville's The Lieutenant. It was interesting, mostly from a historical aspect. I don't know a lot about Australian history. However, it was a bit slow for me. Glad you enjoyed this one. Everything, Everything is on my list. SO MANY BOOKS ON MY LIST. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I haven't read any of these books or authors yet. I've had the You Before Me sitting in my book shelf for ages, but haven't read any other Moyes books either. I'm definitely adding the first 2 to my list. I just read Underground Airlines, and it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i am so inspired by how much reading you do! sadly, i just don't have the time anymore. currently reading for book club 'a man called ove.'

    ReplyDelete
  27. One Plus One is the only Moyes book that I really loved. The others were meh to me. I wouldn't not try more by her but I wouldn't expect the world.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i finally broke down and bought everything everything. one of my writing friends isn't too keen on the novel because she'd learned of its publication story and was irked by it. but the story does intrigue me a bit, so...

    i can't do patterson or picoult. i've read two of moyes' stories and would be alright without reading any others.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh I cannot wait to read "Everything, Everything" -that looks like a great book for my to sink my teeth into - thank you for this wonderful book list!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I keep seeing Jodi Picoult popping up everywhere on "must read" lists lately. I read "Sing You Home" a while back and thought it was brilliant, so I must get on to reading a few more of hers. I like the sound of "The Secret River" too but I'm not sure if it might be a bit tough going on my stomach the way you describe some of the scenes??

    ReplyDelete
  31. And I'll be adding to my Goodreads list now! I love Jodi Picoult, I have heard a lot about this book too but haven't read it yet, so I'll definitely be needing to check it out! Everything, Everything sounds good too, though I might love that one of the main characters is named Oliver because my son is also Oliver and we call him Ollie :) I will add you on Goodreads because I think we have similar tastes in books and I really want more suggestions of things to read!
    Beth
    http://thebethnextdoor.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ooh, another Tropper book to add to my list! I loved Small Great Things!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm hoping to get to Small Great Things soon. Everything Everything has been popping up in my peripheral a lot lately. YA contemporary isn't usually my thing but I do like some take away lessons. And positive reviews from fellow readers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I haven't read anything by Trooper yet, but it sounds like I should! What should I start with?

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm in love with Chevy Stevens so I'm slowly reading all her books. I'm like you, if I find an author I love, I sprinkle them in so I don't OD on them. I am also reading all of Tropper. I have Everything on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Tropper is one of those on my "I want to read all his work" one day. It's slow going, but I have several of his book on my kindle for one day.
    Everything, Everything has been on my list for a while, as well as Small Great Things.
    One Plus One was ok, but after reading Me Plus You, nothing can compete with that.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!