Saturday, August 23, 2014

Thoughts #12 - Chameleon

A friend of mine shared this story this week:  I Dressed as a Goth, a Party Girl, and a Manic Pixie Dream Girl — Here's How My Friends, Partner, and OKCupid Reacted - go click on that link I just posted and read the article.

I found the experiment and article fascinating for a number of reasons.  First, I was a Sociology major.  Second, I like clothes, hair, and make-up.  Third, I try not to judge a book by its cover (so to speak).  Fourth, I enjoy people who have their own personal sense of style.  Fifth, the remarks and quick judgments passed were thought-provoking.

We know that people judge others based on their looks, their race, and their clothes.  We know it's not nice, but it happens.all.the.time. 

Also, I remembered a conversation I shared with a former co-worker (a man who knew my parents before I was born).  He told me that I was a "chameleon" based on how I dressed for work.  At the time, I worked in an office complete with shared-wall cubicle an all.  I suppose this comment came from the fact that I'd wear skirts, pants, or dresses.  I'd wear heels, flats, and cowboy boots.  My hair would be straight or curly, up or down.  My make-up might be natural, or I might wear bright blue eyeliner.  My nails would be natural, black, or bright pink.  This was also at a time in my life that I'd go to live music shows weekly, sometimes multiple times in a week.  So, I'd have a dress style for that too.  Yes, I owned leather pants.  Vinyl ones too.

Some may think this erratic style of dress stems from me searching for an identity.  Or that I was a poser depending on the situation I was in.  Yet, I took the statement he made as a huge compliment.  I like(d) being a chameleon.  I like(d) different styles and fashions and clothes.  I like(d) expressing myself through how I present(ed) myself.  But, does that mean I was judged differently on different days depending on different dress?  Probably.  But, that's not going to change how I dress(ed).

Just because I've had this song in my head the entire time I've typed this entry, I decided that you need to hear it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!