Saturday, October 4, 2014

Thoughts #14 - Detox

I've always been a girl that likes food that is bad for me.  In high school, my dinner about 4-5 days a week was a basket of fries and cream gravy from Luther's BBQ.   I've discussed my body image issues in previous posts like this one.  The last few years have been my unhealthiest physically.  I've exercised very little and my diet has been awful.  I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and insulin resistance.  I need to make some changes.

My dad and step-mom came across an article about sugar addiction from Dr. Mark Hyman.  They bought his book, and some things discussed made sense to them.  They chose to give the suggested eating habits a try including a sugar detox.  They've been really pleased with the results from weight loss, to feeling better, to an outstanding report from my dad's cardiologist.  They've been following this way a eating since June 1st and plan to continue.



If you look up "sugar free diet" or "sugar free detox" or any other similar word combination, you will find A LOT of sites, blogs, plans, and testimonials.  It's actually pretty confusing what to follow and what not to.  Some say fruit is okay; some say don't have fruit during the detox.  Some say tea is okay; others say avoid caffeine.  Some say no beans or legumes during detox; some say they're okay.  Some suggest nuts for a snack; others say eat nuts, except peanuts or cashews.  Again, confusing.  I pulled recipes and suggestions from a variety of sources, but the plan I decided to follow for my detox was this one: Wellness with Rose: 21 Day Sugar Detox.  As you can see, that meant NO sugar, dairy, potatoes, alcohol, caffeine, and a whole lot of other 'NO' items.  I decided to do the detox, assess at the end of 21 days, and move forward with a healthier way of eating than previously.

I did it.  Go me.  Let's look at some of the positives and negatives of my experience...

Some say if you do something for three weeks, it becomes a habit. I'm here to tell you that is not always the case. I've been three weeks without sugar, dairy, caffeine, alcohol, but it certainly hasn't become a habit. It's a struggle. I still want sugar. I want bread. I want cheese. I want potatoes - mashed potatoes, french fries, baked potatoes, potato au gratin, potato rosti. I love all things potato. I want 3 ice cold cherry cokes. I want pizza. There was one day when all I could think about was cupcakes. I want ice cream.  I want wine.  And, of course, I want a giant plate of cheesy nachos.  

Yes, it's been a struggle and a fight. I'm still fighting.  There were withdrawal symptoms like headaches and lack of energy, especially in week 2 (but not as many headaches as I anticipated). The cravings continue.  I think I need a lot more than 3 weeks for those to stop, or at least, ease.  Believe me, it's not easy when your man eats McDonald's, KFC, Krispy Kreme, tator tots, cupcakes, and more. He's an adult and can eat what he wants, but dang, I want to steal some of his food right out of his hands!  I saw a picture of myself today, and I'm not happy with my body, so eating healthier is necessary. Time to look at the positives...

The good things:
  • I lost 7.6 pounds (3.4 kilos). 
  • I'm still in my big girl jeans, but they feel a little better/looser.  
  • I've never really had problem skin, but my skin feels nicer, softer, smoother.  
  • One habit I developed is drinking lots and lots of water.  That's a good thing.  
  • I feel good about myself for accomplishing something that seemed pretty difficult to accomplish.  I fought the cravings and temptations.  
  • Day 21, I went to a 1st birthday party. There were cakes, cake pops, and cupcakes. I wanted them all, but I didn't do it. I didn't feel all that disappointed about it after the fact. I felt good about myself for not breaking. 
  • Making food and meals at home and bringing them for lunch saves money.  
  • I learned to be more aware with labels and what I eat.
  • I'm encouraged enough to keep eating this way, with a few minor changes, such as adding fruit for my morning meal.
I LOVE Mexican food, so my main protein for most of the meal used some form of Mexican food flavors.  I made chicken fajita meat in the slow cooker and used it in salads and lettuce wraps.  Homemade guacamole and salsa become my condiments of choice.  But, this was my favorite protein meal topper that I made.  So, I thought I'd share.  I took part of what I found on Rubies and Radishes and altered just a little to give even more flavor and vegetables.  You can play around with the amount of chili pepper, salsa, peppers, etc. to get your preferred heat. 

Spicy Mince Taco Meat in the Slow Cooker
Ingredients
2 lbs. ground beef, preferably grass-fed (find grass-fed beef here)
3 tablespoons tomato paste (I like this one – it’s organic and comes in a glass jar!)
1 tablespoon chili powder (I like this one – it doesn’t use any anti-caking agents, the ingredients are all spices!)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper - See more at: http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/2013/12/07/easy-slow-cooker-taco-meat/#sthash.TpWMmsb0.dpuf
INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. ground mince turkey
1 lb. ground mince pork
1/4 cup of salsa
1 large diced onion
1 large diced bell pepper (capsicum)
2 large diced carrots
2 diced & seeded serrano peppers
1 small can (drained) corn
3 tablespoons tomato paste (read the label to make sure of sugar content)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika

  1. In a bowl, combine all the spices.
  2. Add onion, bell pepper, carrot, serrano pepper, corn, salsa, tomato paste, meat, and spices to slow cooker.
  3. Break up the meat and stir together.
  4. Cook on low for four hours.
  5. Use a slotted spoon to scoop from slow cooker.
 I ate this on top of salads and even on its own topped with guacamole.  It was spicy and yummy!  I found salad with a little more crunch (a combination of iceburg lettuce, cabbage, carrots, celery, onion) seemed to work really well with the spiciness of the meat.  I was seriously happy eating this. 

I don't know if this works for everyone or if I'll continue such a stringent plan.  But, overall, I feel like it is a step in the right direction of making healthier food choices. 


Ingredients
2 lbs. ground beef, preferably grass-fed (find grass-fed beef here)
3 tablespoons tomato paste (I like this one – it’s organic and comes in a glass jar!)
1 tablespoon chili powder (I like this one – it doesn’t use any anti-caking agents, the ingredients are all spices!)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper - See more at: http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/2013/12/07/easy-slow-cooker-taco-meat/#sthash.TpWMmsb0.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, and I enjoy our interactions. I respond via email, but if you're a "no reply blogger", I can't. Don't think I'm ignoring you!